I know that sounds odd, right? Squash and kale on a quesadilla. But, I trust the Pioneer Woman and she asserts that the winning combo of squash and kale really works in this instance. I would agree with her. This was an unexpected use of the pair, but the flavor was nice I am especially proud of myself for actually using the second half of a squash I cut/peeled for another recipe 2 days prior to making this--I am almost always guilty of having to pitch it after it sits unused for far too long. Hooray for me!
Butternut Squash and Kale Quesadillas
-adapted from thepioneerwoman.com
- 1/2 whole Butternut Squash, Peeled, Seeded, And Diced. (peel your butternut squash with a vegetable peeler before cutting, it is much less dangerous this way!)
- 2 Tablespoons Butter(I used less)
- salt/pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon Chili Powder (I actually would recommend doubling this if you want some real flavor. That will be my plan for next time)
- 1 bunch Kale, Leaves Torn, Stalks Discarded
- 8 whole Small Flour Tortillas (I used whole wheat)
- 2 c. grated Monterey Jack Cheese (pepper jack would kick it up a bit and be a nice addition)
- 1/2 c. chopped cilantro
- Sour Cream and salsa for serving
Heat a bit of butter in a saute pan, and add squash, chili powder and some salt/pepper. Saute, stirring occasionally, until tender (not mushy, though) and browned. Remove from pan. Heat a bit more butter and add kale, sauteing until wilted (just a few minutes). Add the squash back to the pan and season the mixture further if needed. To assemble quesadillas, layer cheese, squash/kale mixture, chopped cilantro, and a bit more cheese. Grill in a hot pan coated with cooking spray until golden on both sides. Cut into wedges and serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.