I loooved this easy and flavorful soup! I can never get enough of pureed vegetable soups. I think they are my second love language (words of affirmation beats them out by just a hair). I have made several butternut squash soups over time, but I think this is my favorite--likely because you just throw everything in and turn on the crock pot. Hours later, just puree the soup, swirl in some coconut milk, and you're good to go. I think it's even better the next day. Double the recipe. You'll probably be sorry if you don't.
Crockpot Butternut Squash and Apple Soup
-from gimmesomeoven. om
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 medium (uncooked) butternut squash
- 1 sprig fresh sage or 1/4 t. dried
- 1 white onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper, or more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne, or more to taste
- pinch of ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- 1/2 cup light canned coconut milk
Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a slow cooker. Toss to combine.
Cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 3-4 hours on high, or until the squash is completely tender and mashes easily with a fork. Stir in the coconut milk.
Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth, or transfer to a food processor or blender (but be careful blending hot liquids). Taste, and season with additional salt, pepper and cayenne if needed. Swirl a little extra coconut milk in each bowl to make it nice and pretty.