Coconut Curry Red Lentil Soup
-adapted from www.vegangela.com
- 1 T coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 T fresh ginger, minced
- 2 T tomato paste
- 2 T curry powder
- 1/4-1/2 t. hot red pepper flakes
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 can light coconut milk
- 1 (14 oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups dry red lentils
- 2-3 handfuls of chopped kale or spinach
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Garnish: chopped cilantro or extra coconut milk to swirl
In a stockpot, heat the coconut oil over medium heat and saute the onion, garlic and ginger until the onion is translucent. Add the tomato paste, curry powder, and red pepper flakes and cook for another minute.
Add the vegetable broth, coconut milk, diced tomatoes and lentils. Cover and bring to a boil, then simmer on low heat for 20-30 minutes, until the lentils are very tender. Season with salt and pepper.
Remove from heat and stir in the kale/spinach until it wilts. Garnish with cilantro and/or a bit of extra coconut milk swirled in.